Logo Silver Travellers

Travel documents

Home » Your preparation » Travel documents

A number of travel documents are required if you are travelling. Of course, you know you need a passport but sometimes you also need a visa. If you are taking medication, it is wise to bring a medical passport. We list the most important travel documents for you in a clear overview.


A passport is of course necessary to travel internationally. For many countries, the requirement is that the passport must be valid for at least 6 months upon arrival in the country. Check this well before departure and if necessary, apply for a new passport in good time. Make a scan of your passport and e-mail it to yourself and a family member.


Many countries require a visa. You can apply for a visa at the embassy of the country. It is often easier to obtain a “visa on arrival” when entering an international airport of the country. On our destinations page, you will find specific information about the necessary visa. Some countries require a passport photo. Therefore, always take some passport photos with you when you travel! It is also useful to have your passport photo with you in digital format, so you can insert it when applying for a visa digitally.

Medical passport

If you are taking medicines, it is compulsory to have a medical passport with you. You can request this from your pharmacy and save a scan of it.

Vaccination booklet

For several countries it is necessary to get vaccinations in advance. If you have had your vaccinations, you will automatically receive the official yellow booklet “International proof of vaccination or prophylaxis”. You must also bring this booklet with you and be able to show it to officials or doctors if you wish. Sometimes the vaccination booklet is also necessary in order to obtain a visa. Always put it in your hand luggage and make sure you have a digital copy of it.

International driving licence

If you want to rent a car or motorcycle, in some cases you will need an International Driving License. If you are a GB or Northern Ireland resident, you can get an International Driving Permit directly from the AA, the Post Office or the RAC. If you are an Ireland resident you can get your IDP also from the AA.

In some countries (for example Vietnam), you need to have a driving licence issued by the country in question. This is quite difficult and actually only obtainable if you stay there for more than 3 months.